Carrot cake quinoa breakfast bowl
Quinoa is a complete protein which means it includes all the essential amino acids. Swapping sugary breakfast cereals and pastries for a protein rich breakfast supports blood sugar balance, other hormone imbalances and will support you during fertility and pregnancy.
This recipe makes enough for approx 6 servings. Keep in the fridge in an air tight container. Warm up in a saucepan with additional milk for a quick protein packed breakfast.
1 and 1/3 cup organic quinoa
1 litre almond or coconut milk
5 medium organic carrots grated
1 tsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. organic vanilla extract
2 tbsp. nut butter
Walnuts to garnish
1. In a large sauce pan add the quinoa along with enough milk to cover.
2. Stir the quinoa, milk, vanilla and cinnamon together and turn the stove on to medium heat. As the quinoa absorbs the milk keep adding more. I find I need more or less milk depending on the quinoa.
3. Once the quinoa is almost ready (after about 15 minutes) add in the grated carrot and nut butter. You may need to add more milk at this point.
4. Once the quinoa is cooked the small grains will have opened up. It should be soft but will still have texture to it.
5. Serve with broken up walnuts, additional carrot and nut butter.