Seasonal apple, pear and blackberry crumble
This delicious crumble uses seasonal apples and pears and frozen blackberries. The natural sugars in the fruit give sweetness to this pudding without the use of refined sugar. A thick layer of crumble made from ground oats and almonds tops it off and makes this a warming winter dessert.
4 organic apples, cored and sliced lengthwise into 8ths
4 organic pears, cored and sliced lengthwise into 8ths
2 cups frozen organic blackberries
¼ cup organic apple juice
4 cups organic oats, ground into a rough flour in a blender or Nutribullet
1 cup organic ground almonds
1.5 cups solid organic coconut oil
1 tbsp date syrup
1 tsp organic vanilla paste
1 handful of organic oats
1 handful of mixed nuts, chopped
1. Start by chopping all the fruit. Spread all the pieces out in a 26 cm circular oven proof dish.
2. Cook on top of the stove on a medium heat for around 10 minutes. Add a splash of apple juice every now and then and stir the fruit around.
3. Add the frozen blackberries and put a lid on this dish
4. Continue to cook whilst you make the crumble topping.
5. In a large bowl add the ground oats and almonds and using a wooden spoon stir to combine.
6. Chop the solid coconut oil up into small chunks and add to the bowl.
7. Using clean dry hands start to rub the coconut oil into flour. Keep rubbing it through your fingers until you get a crumb.
8. Add the date syrup to the bowl and using the wooden spoon stir to combine.
9. Remove the lid from the fruit, add in the rest of the apple juice, vanilla paste and stir.
10. Make sure the fruit is spread out evenly in the dish then add the crumble topping on top. Gently sprinkle a handful of oats on top and the chopped nuts
11. Bake in the oven for 30 minutes or until golden brown.
Serve with your favourite custard cream or coconut yogurt!